Innovation Awards 2020 - Animal Nutrition Jury members
We are pleased to present you our three jury members for the Animal Nutrition :
- Professor Paulo César de Faccio Carvalho
- Professor Mario Estévez
- Doctor Paul Bikker
Professor Paulo César de Faccio Carvalho
Paulo César de Faccio Carvalho holds a doctorate in Animal Sciences and a post-doc at University of California. He is currently Professor Titular at Faculdade de Agronomia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul.
- President of the Brazilian Society of Animal Science
- Visiting Scientist at FAO – AGP division
- Member of Croplands Research Group of Global Research Alliance
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Brazilian National Research Council
- Guest Editor in four special issues of international journals
- President of the Brazilian Society of Integrated Crop-livestock Systems
- Director of International Relations of the Brazilian Society of Animal Science
- Chairman of the International Symposium on the Nutrition of Herbivores
- Director of the Intelligent Board of SIA – Agribusiness Intelligence Service
- Member of the Consulting Board of SIPA Alliance for the diffusion of Integrated Crop-Livestock Systems
- Member of the Consulting Board of Alianza del Pastizal/BirdLife International
Honors and Awards
- Research grant level 1A, the highest at the Brazilian National Research Council
- Award from CAPES best PhD Thesis on Animal Science – 2018 – advisor - honor mentioned
- Award Geraldo Gonçalves Carneiro best paper 2017
- Award Future of the Earth 2005, 2008 and 2013 – Sustainable intensification and environmental protection
- Award Harry Stobbs Memorial Lecture – 2013 – International Grassland Congress
- Award Octávio Domingues for the best Master Dissertation in Animal Science (2003 and 2008)
Focused on the multidimentional nature of the grazing process, and how it drives natural or cultivated pastoral environments.
Technical leader of PISA (sustainable intensification) and SAFA (sustainability assessment) initiatives working with ~1500 smallholders in Southern Brazil.
Professor Mario Estévez
Mario Estévez is an associate Professor in the Department of Animal Production and Food Science at the University of Extremadura (Spain) where he received his PhD in 2005. He also spent two years as a post-doctoral fellow at the University of Helsinki (Finland).
Mario Estévez is an internationally recognized expert in the characterization of protein oxidation products, the consequences of protein oxidation on food quality and the inhibition of protein and lipid oxidation using natural antioxidants.
He has been teaching and conducting research in animal nutrition and food science for 15 years. He has published more than 120 articles in peer-reviewed journals which has established him as an expert.
In addition, he has experience in leading international projects including two consecutive Marie Curie fellowships (European Commission) and in creating of strong and prolific scientific collaborations with prestigious Institutions. He is the author of four patents and has written several dozen technical articles and 7 book chapters.
Honors and Awards :
- Best Academic Record at Veterinary Faculty
- National Veterinary Award
- 2 consecutive Marie Curie Fellowships from European Research Council.
- Award from Brazilian Ministry of Science as Special Visiting Researcher
Advisory Boards/committees :
- Associate Editor of Journal of Food Science (American Institute of Food Technologists)
- Member of Advisory Editorial Board of Foods (MDPI), Meat Science (Elsevier) and Journal of Food Science (IFT).
Doctor Paul Bikker
Paul Bikker is a senior researcher in Animal Nutrition at Wageningen University & Research. He has about 25 years of experience in scientific and applied research in the nutrition of pigs and consultancy for the feed industry in positions at Schothorst Feed Research (Lelystad, the Netherlands) and Wageningen University & Research (Wageningen, the Netherlands).
His main areas of interest and expertise include the requirements and metabolism of amino acids, minerals (calcium and phosphorus) and trace elements (copper and zinc) in pigs. The research includes the evaluation of (novel) feed ingredients for use in animal diets and the effect of feed processing on nutritive value (energy, protein), and validation of criteria reflecting protein quality.
The research aims at opportunities to reduce nitrogen and mineral excretion into the environment without loss in animal performance and health by better quantification of requirements, understanding absorption and metabolism at intestinal and post-absorptive level and study of transporter proteins involved. Trans-generational effects of nutrient supply in pigs and metabolic imprinting of piglets by the composition of sow diets is studied as a potential approach.
- Member of the European Federation for Animal Science (EAAP)
- Member of the Dutch Zootechnical Society (NZV)
- Member editorial board Animal
Change of date for the Innovation Awards Roullier 2020 ceremony29 May 2020
In consideration of the current health situation, we decided to postpone the Innovation Awards Roullier 2020 award ceremony. Please note that it will be held on December 11, 2020 (instead of June 24).
Walter Wenzel’s advice, winner of the 2018 Edition25 March 2020
Walter Wenzel (Austria), winner of the 2018 Innovation Awards Roullier, will give you his advice for 2020 Innovation Awards Roullier edition.
Laura Zanin’s advices, winner of the 2018 Edition18 March 2020
As part of the Innovation Awards Roullier 2020, we give you Laura Zanin’s advices, winner of the 2018 Edition.
You asked for it, we did it!26 February 2020
Many of you have contacted us to obtain more information about the contest, the content of the application file, the expectations of the juries and the prizes, asking us for an extension in order to write your application as well as possible.
Crossed glances of experts on the Innovation Awards Roullier 2020 – Pr. Mario Estévez and Pr. Johannes Lehmann14 February 2020
Mario Estévez and Johannes Lehmann are respectively Professor in the department of animal production and food science at the University of Extremadura and Professor of soil biogeochemistry and soil fertility management at Cornell University. As members of the jury of the Innovation Awards Roullier 2020 and experts in their field, they agreed to give their […]
Innovation Awards 2020 - Plant Nutrition Jury members31 October 2019
We are pleased to present you our three jury members for the Plant Nutrition
New monogastric animal (pigs and poultry) collaboration8 August 2019
In mid-April, the CMI Roullier Animal Nutrition team met with the head of the IRTA* Animal Nutrition, Dr Enric Esteve - along with his team - at the IRTA Mas Bové research centre in Tarragona (Spain) to set up a new monogastric animal collaboration.
New experiments on dairy cows in Spain3 June 2019
In mid-April, the CMI Roullier Animal Nutrition team met Dr Alex BACH, research professor at the ICREA* and head of the department of ruminant production at the IRTA*, and his team on the experimental Spanish farm Blanca From the Pyrenees